See how catfish farmers can save feeding costs during this harmattan
Too much cold, especially the harmattan, affects feed consumption in fish which could reduce the growth performance of your stock.
Below are amazing ways to have a better performance during the harmattan season in your fish farming business.
1. Reduce the frequency by which you feed your fish.
2. Reduce the quantity of feed in order to avoid waste in your fish farm business. As you know, feed accounts for more than 75 percent of your costs in this business
3. Change your pond water regularly. Remember that proper oxygenation is highly important for productivity in fish farming
4. Feed your fish with a quality feed that has essential nutrients and vitamins which could improve the performance of your fish. I know many fish farmers who failed woefully because of cheap feed mentality. True.
5. Feeding early in the morning should be discouraged during harmattan. Feed your fish when the atmosphere is warmer to enhance response and also reduce waste. Believe me, wastage is a sin in any type of farming. I came to this conclusion after visiting the famous farm in Cotonou some years ago.